Are you feeling the nipping winter chill? Goosebumps and shivering are physical manifestations that your body is cold and trying to generate heat. However hard you try to warm up, your body cannot raise your internal thermostat if you are not eating the right warming foods.
What are warming foods?
Foods that tend to generate heat for the body are called thermogenic. Warming foods increase blood circulation and accelerate metabolic process and digestion. These processes keep your tissues working and the body fluids rushing forth to prevent loss of body heat or hypothermia.
What are the different kinds of warming foods?
- Ginger is a spicy and aromatic root crop that has many health benefits aside from being a warming spice. It is abundantly available any time of the year. Ginger is known to have anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties and provides relief to respiratory illnesses such as colds and flu. This pungent root can induce healthy sweating that can protect the skin from invading microorganisms.
- Green tea is a known antioxidant that boosts the immune system. It increases fat oxidation and facilitates normal metabolic processes.
- Garlic is a relative of the onion; therefore share its warming properties. When crushed, the garlic clove emits a pungent sulfur compound called Allicin which is known to have medicinal benefits. If you heard about inserting a clove up your butt to feign a fever, it is true because garlic is hot!
- White Oats is considered a warming food in the sense that it raises the metabolic process of the body. It is high in fibre that helps the digestive system dispose of its wastes and make the organs function properly.
- Dates have many health benefits and very popular in Arab countries. It has high dietary fibre and easily digested. Dates contain a blood coagulant Vitamin K and the good-for-the eyes-Vitamin A.
- Ginseng is a popular herb that has been used by Chinese herbalists for centuries. It is known to treat different kinds of ailments and boosts the immune system. This expensive root promotes metabolic processes among others. When soaked in Saki and taken regularly, it is believed to boost sexual drive and increase performance.
- Pepper has different varieties and its colours are bright and attractive. The bell pepper is a great vegetable salad component. Bell peppers have a sweet, tangy taste chilli variety is fiery hot. It is a rich source of antioxidants like Vitamins A and C. The chilli is the main ingredient in hot sauces. Other than snuggling in front of the fireplace, the warming foods can take the place of the hearth. Just know which food to eat and which to avoid.