Semolina is a type of flour that is remarkably versatile than the other varieties. Also known as Durum wheat, it is a popular (if not more economical) raw material for dried pasta. This wheat middling is particularly favoured in the Middle East and Europe for making raised or flatbread or for thickening soups. This is also great as a coating or breading mix for fish fillet, fried chicken or hash browns.
This flour is a healthy source of the following vitamins and minerals:
- Selenium, an essential mineral that helps our metabolism to function normally
- Thiamine, also known as vitamin B1 is another essential nutrient that our body does not make and must obtain from other sources. Thiamine deficiency causes diseases of the peripheral nervous system such as beriberi
- Folate is a B-complex vitamin necessary for healthy blood components. Deficiency of this vitamin can cause serious blood disorders and even some types of cancer.
- Carbohydrates from grains are converted into glucose and turn into energy for the body
- Smaller structures called amino acids make up the protein found in meat and legumes. It is responsible for muscle building and repair of tissues.
- Trace minerals such as zinc, phosphorous and magnesium are essential nutrients also found in semolina.
- Because this type of wheat is hard and has a low glycemic index, it is ideal for weight loss diet because it controls your food cravings.
- If you have a sensitivity to gluten or has celiac disease, use this type of flour moderately or avoid it completely.
This inexpensive coarse grits has many uses not only in the culinary department but also for industrial purposes. Like any kind of starch, durum wheat is a good raw material for adhesives. Just add semolina to a pot of water and boil until thickens and you will have cheap glue for craft-making or wallpaper paste.
Semolina is one of the products produced by Delta Food Industries FZC in UAE that is distributed in many countries outside the UAE. For more information about the product and how to order, you may send your e-mail here.