Weekends are the family bonding time for most of us. It is the time of the week that we look forward to after the gruelling days at work. Weekends are when family members get together, and you get the chance to prepare sumptuous meals to show off your culinary skills. If you don’t feel like preparing a fancy recipe, you can do a simple one like the Mexican Fideo Chicken Pasta.
2 lb. boneless chicken thighs, remove the skin
1 tbsp vegetable Oil
1 small onion, minced
1 Poblano pepper, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tbsp chilli powder
1 ½ tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tbsp tomato paste
½ tsp ground black pepper
2 cans (10 ounces) diced tomatoes
8-10 cups chicken stock
1 can sweet corn
1 ½ cup tomatillos (Jamberries), chopped
1 ½ cup Fideo pasta
½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 medium size lime, cut into wedges
½ cup sour cream
How to Prepare:
- Marinade chicken with salt and pepper. Fry chicken in hot oil over medium heat. Use a deep-frying pot to make sure chicken is cooked in oil until golden brown. Set aside when done.
- Remove excess oil from the pot and sauté onion, Poblano pepper, and garlic until brown. Add tomato paste, chilli powder, cumin, and oregano. Stir for one minute then add tomatoes and let it simmer.
- Add chicken stock, corn, tomatillos and chicken. Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat, stirring a few times.
- When chicken is tender, remove from pot and shred. Return to the pot and add the Fideo pasta (keep some for garnishing). Stir in cilantro (set aside half for garnishing later) and season with pepper and salt when pasta is tender but not soggy.
- Serve with the other half of cilantro, lime wedges and sour cream and sprinkle with crunchy fried Fideo pasta.
- To make the crunchy Fideo pasta, just fry uncooked Fideo pasta in oil over medium-high heat until golden brown.
Fideo Chicken Pasta is a popular Mexican recipe that is passed down from generation to generation. Creative Chefs improve on the ingredients and the taste and some make their own versions. Whichever way you make it, the most important thing is you have taken the time and effort to make your family feel satisfied and loved.