Shrimp or prawn is a good source of antioxidants. An anti-inflammatory nutrient called astaxanthin found in shrimps provide support to our musculoskeletal and nervous systems. Earlier studies showed the benefits of this nutrient in reducing the risk of colon cancer and particular diabetes-related issues. Adding tomato sauce or tomato paste for flavor increases its nutritional value.
Some people have an adverse allergic reaction to shrimps; therefore, before you fork this heavenly crustacean into your mouth, make sure it is safe for you to eat it.
Shrimp is an expensive treat; cook it as you would any seafood, with love, devotion and a lot of imagination. For a delectable feast, here’s one recipe for you.
- 30-35 pcs medium-sized shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 medium-sized chopped onion
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, minced
- 1/2 tsp fine table salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp hot sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 3 pcs medium-sized tomatoes, skinned and minced
- 2 tsp all-purpose flour (optional)
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 drops of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Peel the shrimp including the vein, rinse and dry with a paper towel
- Heat olive oil in a pan over a low fire; add the butter
- Sauté chopped onions, bell pepper and celery, stirring until tender
- Add crushed tomatoes, salt, cayenne pepper, garlic and bay leaf while stirring constantly, add hot sauce
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat after 2 minutes. Let it simmer
- Add the mixture of water and flour and stir gently to avoid lumps
- Add the shrimp and season with Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste and tomato sauce, mix thoroughly
- Let the mixture simmer until shrimp is cooked, add the chopped parsley as garnishing
- Serve with hot steamed rice or mashed potatoes
For a better-tasting shrimp gambas, use Delta Royale Tomato Paste manufactured by Delta Food Industries FZC in UAE. For more details about this product, you may send your e-mail here.